First off, I would like to thank you for ruining another edition of Sunday Night Baseball. Now that I got that out of the way, I can get back to sipping my Haterade.
I’m sure there are a good number of people who would like to physically abuse Steve Phillips, maybe tie him up in a basement and shoot baseballs at him from a pitching machine or something. It isn’t a new phenomenon by any means. The reason I’ve kept my feelings quiet is because I thought he would surely be gone by now. Since we are in yet another baseball season with the still-employed bum, I will now hop on the Fire Steve Phillips bandwagon and go oh so public on his ass.
I’ve decided to take a look at his track record to see what makes him so special.
• Traded Jason Bay, Bobby Jones, and Josh Reynolds to the San Diego Padres for Jason Middlebrook and Steve Reed.
• Attempted to trade Jose Reyes.
• Acquired ancient, expensive, and ineffective players like Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, Roberto Alomar, to name a few.
• Was critical of the Reds acquisition of Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft.
• Stated the Yanks should trade A-Rod in the beginning of the year. “His play won’t come back, I think it’s time to move him before it’s too late.”
• Played 7 seasons in the minors, never getting higher than Double-A.
I’ve also posted some humorous links of more dumb Steve Phillips moments:
Again, I pose the question; How is Steve Phillips still employed?